Monday, June 16, 2014

The First Day of Summer Volunteering!

Annyeong!

What's shakin', what's poppin', what's going down?

 I just came back a little while ago from my first day of being a Teen Summer Volunteer. It was cool! The first thing I did, and this I did for most of my shift, was help out with a Children's event that was going on. I operated the Ring Toss game and gave the kids a prize( a money pencil) after they had their turn. There were all kinds of kids there and they were fun and cute and awesome.

 Funny story: One of the girls asked me why I wear a mask. I told her it was a veil and it was to keep my face hidden from men. She said: "Why? You don't wanna date?" I was laughing on the inside so hard but I just told her "Nope, don't date."

 The younger kids were especially cute because they had a habit of instead of tossing the ring they would just stick it on the little spike thing. It was pretty funny. Especially one girl in a blue jumper who was absolutely adorable, she kept sticking the rings of one color on their matching color cone/spike things. There was also a kid with his dad and he was super cute. Gave his dad a hug when he finally got his last ring on and then he said determinedly "I wanna try again!"

  So yeah, I had some fun with that whole event. Though I got quite a bit sweaty as I was running around picking up the rings plus I was wearing two shirts(My volunteer shirt! ^o^ and a long sleeve white shirt to cover my arms).

 Then after that I did a little bit of shelving. It was nice. Then when that was finished, the head librarian of the Children's section told us that we could just clock out for the day even though our shift was ten minutes from being over since we worked pretty hard.

 So, all in all, it was great! After my shift I did some Summer Reading activities, got candy and my Summer Reading hours prizes(I've already passed 10 hours in just 4 or 5 days) which were a coupon for a free Jr. Frosty at Wendy's, two $5 fine wavers, and a free book. I chose Looking for Alaska by John Green. I was already planning to read it so having a personal copy helps.

 I cannot wait for my shift tomorrow and the Summer Reading Kick-Off at my library(It's a week late) where I'll also be volunteering. Tomorrow Laila and I won't be in the same section of the library. She'll still be working in Children's but I'll be doing something else. I'm kinda nervous.

 Well, that's it. Just wanted to talk about that. Also, the 15th of Sha'ban was this past Friday. We fasted and it was okay. Didn't feel too long. Although, I think I did fall asleep a couple of times so that could be half of why but it was nice. Can't wait fro Ramadhan!

Signing off for now, sayonara, bye, adios, au revoir, ma'a salaama, annyeong~!

Sumiyya <3

No comments:

Post a Comment