Monday, April 28, 2014

Friday Night Lights

Well, hello there!
My name is Sumiyya Abdul-Rasheed and this is another Monday blog.

If you don't know, I was just doing a Tyler Oakley(who's last  name I just realized is the same as Annie Oakley)-style intro. If you don't know who he is, check him out. He's pretty funny and has great videos although lately he's just been doing a lot of Q&As(Q and Slays :D). Also he does Top That videos with Becca Frucht on Popsugar's channel. So yeah, anyway, check him out.

Today I really wanted to talk about something really awesome I went to this past Friday. It was at one of the local libraries in my area called Hickory Grove. The event was called Friday Night Lights.

Basically what it was was teens hanging out on a Friday night with also kind of an open mic night/talent show feel to it. If there was something you wanted to perform(song, poem, rap, flip, etc...) then you could just get up there and perform.

I came late to the event but luckily I made it in time to have a slice of pizza and some drink and I, of course, made it just in time for the talent portion. So here's how it went down:

The first performer was a girl named Jade. She did a poem which was really nice. I could see that she had a poem book(like me!) so this was really her passion.

The second one was a girl named Kimberly. She sang Angel by Natasha Beddingfield. It was nice but her voice could maybe use a little training. Otherwise she sounded great.

The third one was yours truly :D I did a poem too. It's one of mine called Window of Wonder. I thought it would be really cool to get up there and do it so I did and it was awesome. A lot of people seemed to like it.

The next performers were two kids. They both did flips. Not at the same time though.

The next performance was by two brothers who I think were Muslim and also who I think were twins. Anyway, they both started beatboxng and then one was beat boxing while the other was rapping and they killed it! It was sick. I think they might have gotten the best reception. At least from me.

Then some other boys decided to rap as well but there was a great confusion as to what was going on. Then one started rapping and it was kinda wack to be honest but he did his thing and some of it was okay.

Then Kimberly got up and sang again. She sang Lights by Ellie Goulding this time. It was nice as well.

Then the final act and I think it ties for first in my mind with the twins'(?) performance was by someone named Bernard. He sang a song which I later learned was Chocolate by The 1975. He played guitar while singing and both his guitar playing and his singing were totally amazing! My sister and I were like: If he doesn't have one already, he should make a YouTube and do covers because that was just so amazing. Also, I think I might just have to check out more of the 1975's songs because although honestly after hearing the original song, I didn't like it all that much but it has grown on me and been stuck in my head.

Here's a picture I surreptitiously took of him: 


So after all that we had to tidy up while waiting for our parents to come. So Laila and I helped.

Then we left and went to the store. And that was my Friday night.

It was pretty epic ^_^

So signing off for now, bye, au revoir, annyeong, adios, sayonara, ma'a salaama!

Sumiyya <3
 

No comments:

Post a Comment